Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Strawberry Marshmallow Filled Cupcakes Forever

So, an actual recipe from me.  I guess not so much a recipe but telling you how Jen and I made a low dairy delicious filled cupcake masterpiece last night. 

We started out planning on making this recipe from Giada for strawberry and mascarpone filled cupcakes.  I couldn't find Mascarpone at the super Walmart, though, and didn't have time to search all over the place. I did end up buying sliced frozen strawberries.  And marshmallow creme, for this recipe which was a back up plan, marshmallow creme filling for cupcakes.  But...you know me...I forgot to buy shortening. 

So, we had cupcakes made and were one ingredient short of creating either masterpiece.  So, what did we do, you might wonder?  We improvised. 

We do this a lot, and usually it does not always turn out well for us.  Until last night.  When we rocked the house hardcore.  Here's what we did to make the  yummiest filled cupcakes ever.  (Okay, maybe not ever but they are pretty awesome if I do say so myself)

Ingredients: 8 oz of sliced strawberries (frozen or fresh)
                    2 tbs sugar
                    1 jar of marshmallow creme

It's so simple I can't believe no one has done this before.  (I did look but I didn't find anything like this...)  All we did was cook the strawberries in a pan (about 8 oz) on medium-low heat for about 10 min with 2 tablespoons of sugar, stirring regularly.  Basically like you are making jam.  Then, remove from heat and while the strawberry mixture is all hot and gooey, you mash it with a hand masher until it's a pretty consistent texture.  It still needs to be warm (but not necessarily hot), add the marshmallow creme a little at a time and mix it until the whole jar is mixed evenly into the strawberries. 

Next you put it into a piping bag and start filling cupcakes by pushing the tip of the bag into the cupcake and squeezing until the stuff comes out the top.  We also spread a little of the filling around on the top, too, instead of using a frosting.  We figured frosting would make these gems too sweet. 

Don't they just look delicious? Cause they are. And usually I am always disappointed with what we cook. But these were sooo good!

As a side note, I also made homemade guacamole last night, too. Soooooo good. Last night was a good night for cooking for me. So good.


2 comments: