Sunday, May 8, 2011

Here's a little something I made to educate you on what I do

Okay, so it's not a whole lot of education on what I do but I did create this little picture to explain how basic runoff works for the watershed presentations I give.  I hope you like it.  I'm not the best artist ever so I wouldn't say it's great, but it gets the point across. 
Runoff is a primary problem/concern in the watershed currently (seasonally).  All these spring rains in combination with the spreading of manure, fertilizers and bio-sludge (yup, you heard that right, bio-sludge: basically consists of the treated sewage leftovers from portapotties, waste water treatment plants and pumped out septic systems, yum!) on crop fields, runoff from pasture lands and manure storage areas and fertilizers for pretty verdant lawns and golf courses can create a lot of messy runoff that enters into the source waters (potentially).  So, it's a lot of junk just gathering into the water every time it rains if it's not applied properly (which is more expensive and more difficult to do, so it almost never is, at least in my experience), which makes me a very busy ranger.

No comments:

Post a Comment