Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Hanging out with a mushroom man, frying turnips in my frying pan

CSA post this week!  Here's the rundown of what we got:

1 lb pumpkin sage linguine
2 lb log of butter made from grass-grazed, organic milk
2 ct eggplant
2 red peppers
2 ct winter squash (varieties include butternut, acorn, spaghetti, honey bear, heart of gold, and a few more)
approx 1.5 lbs heirloom tomatoes
1 lb yellow wax beans
Quarter peck Gala apples
1 head leaf lettuce
Any goombas around to
throw these at?
The story on the tomatoes...so we get an email about the heirlooms that says they didn't get a hold of the Amish guy soon enough so they won't be heirlooms but just slicing tomatoes.  No big deal.  We get to the back of the truck and find out that the tomatoes are not happening at all.  Also, no big deal.  It happens.  So they are substituting one of the following:  apples, cantaloupe, turnips or kale.  It went kind of like this:
Turnip and potato fritters...delish!
Truck guy:  what do you want to substitute? 
Me:  Hmm....I've never had them before, give me the turnips! 


He looks at me, shrugs, and then gives me like 3 lbs of turnips.  There were a lot of turnips.  Good thing I had friends to come over and help me eat them all.  I was a little nervous about how they would turn out but...they were delicious!  I ended up using this recipe from Simplyrecipes.com, I used all of my turnips and made a double batch.  So good. 
Planning on cooking the eggplant, peppers and summer squash with the pasta tonight.  If it turns out good I'll post photos...

And the apples this week?  Absolutely amazing.  Did I mention how much I love doing this CSA?  There is talk that they might do a winter CSA as well...oh I hope they do!  I'm already excited. 

Oh, and a side note, the 2lb log of butter is 5inches tall and 6 inches long.  It's absurd.  And awesome. 

A normal sized Gala apple for size comparison

No comments:

Post a Comment