Sunday, September 18, 2011

I guess I could but if only I would

So, yeah, making pies.  Put your orders in.  Apparently everyone wants one for free, though.  I can't do it that way anymore.  Apples are expensive, even when they are in season, and my usual free apple hookup has run dry this year (her tree is on vacation).  So, you want apple pies, you either have to come out and help me clean and core all the apples (in which case I'll give a discount) or you have to give me the apples for your pie (in which case I'll give you a really good discount).  I'm not trying to be greedy or anything, or even to make a profit, just to break even with the cost of making them and the time that goes into it.  I like to think my apple pies taste better than the garbage you get from the grocery store fresh and especially the frozen shit...but that's my opinion so I guess it's biased.  Except for those of you who know me, it has taken years for me to feel that anything I cook tastes good, even if it did, so there is that. 

Anyway, I digress, pies. 

I have been put to the challenge to make a grape pie.  I'm gonna do it, though I've never tried before.  Here are the two recipes I found that I am torn between: this one from Allrecipes.com:
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
5 cups Concord grapes
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 pinch salt
3/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons butter

Directions

1.Wash grapes, and remove the skins. Save the skins. Place grape pulp in a large saucepan; mash a few at the bottom to release their juice. Cook over medium low heat until grapes come to a full boil. Remove pulp from heat, and press through a food mill to remove seeds. Combine pulp and skins in a large bowl. Stir in lemon juice.

2.In a separate bowl, mix sugar, flour, and salt. Stir into grape mixture. Pour filling into pastry crust, and dot with butter or margarine. Cover with second pastry shell. Flute edges, and cut little slits in the top crust for steam to escape.

3.Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 45 to 50 minutes, or until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in top crust. Cool.

And this one from nyfolklore.org:

5 1/2 cups Concord grapes, washed
about 1 cup sugar, depending on the sweetness of the grapes
1 tablespoon tapioca
Pastry for a 9-inch pie

Pop the skins off the grapes by pinching them at the end opposite the stem; set them aside. Put the pulp (without water) into a heavy pan, bring it to a boil, and let it boil 5 to 6 minutes. Put it through a colander or food mill to remove the seeds. Pour the hot pulp over the skins and let the mixture sit for 5 hours. ("This colors the pulp and makes it pretty.") Add the sugar and tapioca, then pour the mixture into the pie crust and dot with butter. Put on the top crust. (Irene uses a "floating" top crust—a circle of dough slightly smaller than the top of the pie—because it is easier than crimping top and bottom together and it also makes a pretty purple ring around the edge.) Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Lower the temperature to 350 degrees and cook 20 minutes more until the crust is browned and the juice begins to bubble up.

I think I prefer the second one due to the brevity of the ingredients list, sometimes less is better, you really get to taste the main ingredient, instead of hiding it behind a bunch of spices and stuff.  I don't know...I guess once I get the grapes we will find out, right? :)  Wish me luck...

No comments:

Post a Comment